The UNDP and the United Nations
As the leading UN agency and world development network, the UNDP provides leadership at the heart of the United Nations Coordination, also known as the United Nations System (UNS).
In practice this means that for the DRC, the UNPD Resident Representative is the United Nations System Resident Coordinator and Resident Humanitarian Coordinator. Currently, Moustapha Soumaré holds this position. He is also the Deputy Representative to the UN Secretary-General.
Other structures also bring together UN organizations and encourage synergy among them at various levels:
- The PMT (Program Management Team), which brings together all UN agency program managers. The UNDP participates just like all other UN agencies, but the Integrated Office organizes meetings focused mainly on exchanging information.
- The OMT (Operation Management Team), assembles Operations Managers from all UN agencies, and the UNDP’s role is to lead this group.
UN agencies in DRC
- United Nations Organization Stabilization Mission in the DR Congo (MONUSCO);
- Food and Agriculture Organization of the United Nations (FAO)
- The International Fund for Agricultural Development (IFAD)
- United Nations Office for Project Services (UNOPS)
- L'Organisation des Nations Unies pour l'éducation, la science et la culture (UNESCO)
- United Nations Entity for Gender Equality and the Empowerment of Women (UNWOMEN)
- Joint United Nations Programme on HIV/AIDS (UNAIDS)
- Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Refugees (UNHCR)
- Programme des Nations unies pour les établissements humains (ONU-HABITAT)
- United Nations Children’s Fund (UNICEF)
- United Nations Population Fund (UNFPA)