Support Programme for the Microfinance Sector
The Support Programme for the Microfinance Sector (PASMIF II) is a programme run by the government of the Democratic Republic of Congo, implemented alongside the UNDP and the UNCDF.
It is inspired by the ambition to allow marginalised populations easier access to a variety of viable, high quality financial services.
What we've achieved so far
• More than 20,000 additional clients, including 80% of women and 20 % of men, have improved access to innovative financial service provisions adapted to their needs. (Crédit avec Epargne Education, CEE+, Grenier Villageois, Mutuelles de solidarité)
• 45 Executives from Microfinance Institutions (IMF) have been educated in IMF management and accounting based on the new Congolese accounting policies, 100 representatives of the PSF have improved their knowledge concerning consumer protection.
• 9 technical assistance projects concerned with institutional strengthening and funding were approved after evaluation periods carried out by the FPM in conjunction with 23 Microfinance Institutions, including 19 members of the MECRECO network, a commercial bank, two IMF and a savings and credit cooperative.
• A Road Map in in place for the implementation of two professional associations in 2012, and the support base has been identified for the strengthening of the capacity of local technical service providers.
• Strengthening of the supervision and control of the sector, around 39 financial service providers (PSF) have been checked, 2 have been ordered to close, while for some a recovery plan has been drawn up, and others have been advised with a view to correcting irregularities.
Financing the project
|United Nations Development Programme (UNDP)
|United Nations for Capital Development Fund (UNCDF)|
|Swedish International Development Cooperation Agency (SIDA)|
|German Development Bank (KFW)|
|World Bank (parallel funding)|
|Belgian Development Cooperation (under negotiation)|
Performance during the last year
|Ending 31 December 2011||2,660,000 US$|